Snorkeling in Grenada has much to offer; the worlds first Underwater Sculpture Park, healthy reefs within the Grenada Marine Park and exciting encounters on the Atlantic side.
Aquanauts offers dedicated snorkel trips with knowledgably snorkel guides and lots of fun.
Several times a week you have the choice between full morning or shorter afternoon snorkel trips.
Come and enjoy the abundant marine life and the Underwater Art exhibition while in Grenada.
Grenada Marine Park Snorkel Sites:
- also dubbed the critter capital of Grenada, the reefs starts as shallow as 9 ft with gently sloping to a sandy bottom at 30 ft, the outer edge ending in a drop off. The rugged coast line is picturesque and fatures finger corals and myriads of small fish.
- a sheltered bay with a stunning coral garden, look out for the little "dragons";
the seahorses especially in summertime. many soft corals provide a feast for fingerprint nudibranch; your snorkel guide will point them out for you.
- for the more daring snorkeler, where the reef drops off and strong currents prevail. However if you stay close to the rocks you can safely drift over to the next bay and enjoy barracudas sleeky standing in the current.
Underwater Sculpture Park
- the world's first Underwater Art Exhibition - statues and carvings are placed on reef edges and valleys, showing the interaction between nature and man made structures. Very interesting to see how nature takes over - most of the art is now covered by marine life - spooky and facinating at the same time.
- huge coral boulders providing foundations for ever new growing elkhorn and other hard corals. Between the coral mountains tarpons and snapper hang out, on the mountain tops small critters and crustaceans can be watched.
Other Grenada Snorkel Sites
- on the south coast of Grenada, this uninhabited island gets marine life visitors from the vast Atlantic Ocean; stingray may feed on the ground, a turtle may passes by and between the many conch shells small critters find a new home. On calm days the windward side of the island with huge elkhorn corals can be visited.
-off Hog Island this shallow lagoon is another great Atlantic snorkel site, a fabulous intact sea gras bed hides juvenile fish and critters, spiked by small coral beds and colored by schools of small snappers and grunts.
- snorkeling the mangroves is very special, only available on calm clear days, it shows the ocean's "Kindergarten", you never know what you encounter - a shark egg, a turtle hatchling (usually many as they all hatch at the same time) or baby lobster.